I don’t know about you, but I’m sick and tired about hearing about all the PROBLEMS in the entire world without having a SINGLE SOLUTION that is reasonable, workable and REALISTIC. Instead of whining, moaning, wringing our hands and talking everything to death, I think we should start with:
1. Abolish history in all schools and call it PROBLEM SOLVING. I believe that no one is being taught HOW TO SURVIVE AND SOLVE PROBLEMS, in any way AT ALL. We need to teach kids how to USE THEIR GOVERNMENT AND THEIR PERSONAL POWER TO MAKE THE CHANGES THEY WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD. No more teaching ABOUT war…we need to teach how TO NEVER HAVE WARS IN THE FIRST PLACE. Use the FAILURES (wars) of the past, to learn how NOT TO REPEAT THOSE MISTAKES.
2. Teach, hands on, how to get laws changed. How to form in peaceful group demonstrations. How to write petitions and get them signed. How to become an active part of the society they live in. Show them examples of what changes were brought about by everyday people…how women got the vote, etc. But, of course, you would have to update that since we are under constant surveillance today, and we are part of the electronic age. We need new ways of doing things.
3 We need to point out the MISTAKES our GOVERNMENT makes and tell kids the TRUTH about what our government does. GREED, KILL FOR OIL, GOODS, ETC. WE NEED TO TEACH THEM THAT WE ARE LIED TO and that it’s up to them to stop believing what they are told and to find peaceful solutions to THEIR problems. WE MUST START TEACHING KIDS TO NOT BE SHEEP AND BELIEVE EVERYTHING THEY ARE TOLD…so they can think of ways to make the world a better place. It is imperative that we teach kids how to work together to bring about change.
4. We need to STOP CELEBRATING WAR AND VIOLENCE…in books, films and real life.
5. We must offer alternative ways of LOOKING AT THINGS. Feed the people of the world? HOW CAN WE DO IT? Ask the kids what can be done and how. School project…how to feed the world. Entire school project: HOW TO END WAR! All grades. Gimme whatcha got kids. Tell us how to do it…WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD WORK? Then combine all the info, from all the schools, and see what the answer might be.
WE NEED TO RESPECT OUR KIDS AND THEIR IDEAS FOR THE FUTURE! WE NEED TO ASK THEM FOR ANSWERS TO THE PROBLEMS WE ARE HANDING THEM. WE NEED TO LISTEN TO THEM AND ASK FOR THEIR OPINIONS, IDEAS AND THEIR HELP.
6. WE MUST TEACH PROBLEM SOLVING because it’s as important as reading, writing, the arts and math. Without problem solving skills WE HAVE NO HOPE FOR A BETTER WORLD. THEY HAVE NO HOPE.
We talk endless about the problems the world faces but what are we actually doing about any of them ? Small, underfunded groups work tirelessly to make changes and I’m grateful to them, but the reason we do nothing is because WE DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
7. We need CLEAR CUT SOLUTIONS SOLUTIONS TO OUR PROBLEMS. SOLUTIONS THAT PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND AND WORK ON/WITH. People feel helpless, disconnected and that’s being done to us, ON PURPOSE, for a reason. That’s why WE ARE NEVER TAUGHT HOW TO USE OUR GOVERNMENT FOR CHANGE. HOW TO ACTUALLY SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS instead of just looking at them and then walking away with NOTHING TO DO BECAUSE WE FEEL THAT THERE ISN’T ANYTHING WE CAN DO.
8. WE HAVE DEMAND THAT OUR SCHOOLS WORK FOR OUR KIDS AND TEACH THEM LIFE SKILLS THAT WILL HELP THEM MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. WE NEED TO STOP REPEATING WAR STORIES AND HERO WORSHIP FOR PEOPLE WHO WERE NOT GOOD PEOPLE BEHIND THE SCENES.
Kids need to build their own schools from the inside. Their input should be paramount. They need committees (MADE UP OF STUDENTS), to meet with teachers and staff and discuss student rights and subject matter. EVERY STUDENT GROUP NEEDS REPRESENTATION. They need to be able to speak up about abusive and bad teachers. They need to BE PART OF THEIR OWN EVERYDAY LIFE AND EDUCATION. THEY NEED TO BE RESPECTED AND LISTENED TO AND ASKED FOR THEIR INPUT. TEACHERS NEED TO BE EDUCATED ON HOW TO TEACH WORLD/LIFE PROBLEM SOLVING.
9. We need to stop lying to ourselves and to our children, if we are serious about bringing about any kind of change in the world or our own backyards. We need to be role models and show our kids that we CARE, and are willing to take action, to solve the world’s problems. Parents watching TV, doesn’t TEACH KIDS ANYTHING AT ALL. Taking them to a demonstration or rally will open their eyes to new possibilities. We need to tell our kids the truth and overturn the gossip and lies they hear on TV or from others. Lies about gender, race, power, age, etc. We can’t afford to just, “let things go.”
10. People are starving all over the world…and? What, exactly, are we supposed to do about that? Do you know? Can you trust the charities that say they will help, but actually keep the money for themselves? Who can we trust? How can we feed people? Did any teacher ever teach you how to problem solve that one? How about your parents? Anyone? OR WERE YOU FORCE FED SOCIETIES RULES AND GOALS, SO THAT YOU WOULD STAND IN LINE AND WAIT TO BE TOLD WHAT TO DO NEXT? BECAUSE THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT SCHOOLS TEACH. Nice little robot. If you don’t follow the rules…punishment follows (just like in real life). Where’s the punishment for our government? Who punishes them for our war torn, poisoned, starving earth? Regular people don’t start wars. You and I can’t start a war that will kill thousands upon thousands of our kids…nope, that’s our friendly government who doesn’t ask us our opinion…they just take our kids. Who punishes them? Who has any power OVER them? Who can CONTROL them? Aren’t they supposed to WORK FOR US?
11. We need to put up or shut up (from my sorted teen age past). Put our money where our mouths are or stop talking about the misery and suffering and get over it. Talking doesn’t help anyone. It make people even more depressed than they already are. Come up with workable solutions to ANY of our problems and let us know what we can actually DO to make a difference or PLEASE STOP SHOVING IT IN OUR FACES. Imagine a world where no one watched the news. NO ONE. Seriously…think about that. I haven’t watched in years. They can’t manipulate you and lie to you unless you let them. They can’t make you HATE ANYONE, if you stop watching. The guys who OWN the stations ALLOW you to SEE WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO SEE. That’s the absolute truth. People aren’t watching news they are being manipulated and brainwashed. So, stop watching. We won’t even know we went to war. Maybe no one will show up. Every time you see a political figure, change the channel and watch cartoons, there’s more truth in what the cartoon characters say, than the acting you’ll see with the other guy.
Think about these things. Think about how you were NEVER taught to make changes in the world. Think about what you can do to bring about change, tax big businesses that pollute our air and water and kill our kids…think about what you can do about THAT. Teach your kids the TRUTH. They have to take care of their own world by wrenching it out of the hands of rich, white, males who are too powerful for their own good. Teach your kids that if they want a better world, if they want peace and food for everyone, that THEY WILL HAVE TO BE THE ONES TO MAKE IT HAPPEN because we have let them down. We are leaving our kids a terrible legacy. A poisoned planet, run by greedy, thoughtless power-hungry people and our schools are in step with that. Law and Order, follow the rules, do as your told…baaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Work for change in your school. Go to them individually. Get guest speakers, BE A GUEST SPEAKER, tell the kids what they’re up against and that they need to THINK of ways to make things better FOR THEMSELVES BECAUSE WE HAVE MADE A MESS OF THINGS! Most parents want to protect their kids from all sorts of “bad” things but they will have to LIVE in the world we left for them. I don’t know about you, but I feel bad about that in a lot of ways.
Oh, and don’t forget to tell them how dangerous it will be to work for peace. How dangerous it will be for them to try and bring about positive changes in the world. Because it will be. I have been an activist for most of my life, so I know. And tell them how long it might take, because they will be fought, by powerful forces who will kill to keep the status quo in place. It is dangerous. It is tough. They will be told that it’s impossible, but truthfully, the alternative is slavery of the entire human race. But you know what? If our choices lead us to that end, people will forget what freedom was ever like, so no worries…most people hardly know that it’s already begun. The time has truly come to make a choice. There are always turning points in her/history…I think this is one of them, but of course, we all have to decide for ourselves…at least while we still can.
Um, have a nice day.